If you’re like many Americans, you probably start your day with a hot cup of joe. Coffee is one of the most important beverage segments in the foodservice industry, and it’s no surprise that its got its own holiday. That’s right: September 29th is National Coffee Day.
With National Coffee Day here, many Coffee & Tea brands are celebrating by offering special promotions to help customers get their caffeine fix. Here are just a few:
- Dunkin’ Donuts stores will give away a free medium hot coffee with the purchase of a medium, large, or extra large cup of hot coffee.
- Krispy Kreme is offering a free hot coffee in any size or a small iced coffee from Friday, September 29 through Sunday, October 1.
- New and existing 7Rewards members can get one free coffee of any size per day at their local 7-Eleven from Friday, September 29 through Sunday, October 1.
- Coffee drinkers can take advantage of a buy one, get one free hot coffee at Duck Donuts on Friday, September 29.
- McDonald’s celebrates the addition of new drinks to its menu by making a small caramel macchiato, cappuccino, and/or Americano available for $2 each.
With so many people celebrating coffee, CHD Expert wanted to take a closer look at the Coffee & Tea restaurant landscape of the U.S. and offer up some insights into the industry. Here’s what we found:
As of September 2017, there are more than 36,950 coffee shops & tea houses in the United States, according to CHD Expert’s foodservice database. The Coffee & Tea menu type accounts for 5% of the total US restaurant landscape.
According to CHD Expert’s data, consumers spend more than $25 Billion at coffee houses and tea shops each year. The average Coffee & Tea restaurant brings in revenue of over $680,000 each year and these beverage operators spend approximately $6 Billion on purchasing food, beverages, and other disposable products.
When breaking down the coffee and tea restaurant landscape into chains vs. independents, CHD Expert’s data reveals that 40% of Coffee & Tea restaurants are independent while the other 60% are chain operators. (CHD Expert defines an Independent restaurant as one having less than 10 units in operation nationwide.) Within the chain landscape, 89% of Coffee & Tea chain restaurants have 501+ units in operation.
The most prevalent Coffee & Tea chain restaurants in terms of number of units in the U.S. include Starbucks, Dunkin’ Donuts, Tim Hortons, Caribou Coffee, and The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf.
Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts have both elevated the Coffee & Tea menu type to great success, with both being among the top 10 chain restaurants in the country and showing positive year-over-year growth. Starbucks has a year-over-year growth of 5.2% while Dunkin’ Donuts has a year-over-year growth of 4.7%. (Curious about the other restaurants that made the list of the Top 10 Fast Food Restaurant Chains? Click here to download our one-page report.)
Want more details on the Coffee & Tea restaurant landscape in the USA?
CHD Expert evaluated the most recent data within its foodservice database and packaged the most interesting facts and figures into an infographic designed to help foodservice industry professionals better understand the popularity of coffee shops and tea houses in the United States.
CHD Expert is an industry leader in collecting, managing, and analyzing foodservice data. We have all kinds of foodservice data available, including coffee and tea industry data, and our database features a variety of filters you can use to segment data.
Are you interested in learning more about coffee and tea foodservice data, or about another menu type? If you’d like to speak with one of our representatives, please email or feel free to give us a call.